1505 Elm Street
Address: 1505 Elm Street
Architect: George Dahl
Year Built: 1957
Also known as: Dallas Federal Savings Building;
This 17-story building, which opened on 1 October 1957, was originally the home of Dallas Federal Savings and called the Dallas Federal Savings Building. Dallas Federal Savings started in 1919. Dahl created the building in a "modern" design with a blue-green porcelain and silver-gray enamel exterior, with a cast terrazzo grille. Robert E. McKee was the General Contractor. The interior lobby includes marble and teakwood trim and terrazzo floors
Dresser Industries bought the building in 1974 and moved its headquarters here. Dresser stayed until 1985 when it moved to the LTV Tower and sold the building to James Coker. The Dallas Chamber of Commerce purchased it in 1998 with plans to convert it to office space, but it proved to be too costly. Lazarus Property Co. purchased the building in 2001 and hired Merriman Associates Architects, Inc., to renovate it into 67 condominums, creating the first downtown highrise converted to condiminums. During the renovation, the metal and glass façade was replaced.
(C) 2016 RD Financial Holdings, LLC - www.rdfinancialhoildings.com